Vinnie's LA Blog

This is a blog where I post all if my language arts pieces

Monday, March 25, 2013

Winter Wonder-Not


Author's Note: This is a creative piece about the scares and wonder of winter. This story is shown from the perspective of a boy who has never experianced snow in his life until one day when an enormous blizzard comes.


This seems pretty weird, but the worst day of my life was also the best. It all started on February 15th, the day before the so called blizzard, a word I have never heard for years.  Living in North Carolina it would be expected that a twelve year old boy wouldn’t know about a blizzard. In all of my twelve winters I’ve only experienced snow twice and that was only a quarter of an inch. On this particular day I was extremely jittery: I heard stories about cars crashing, people dying and the worst, shoveling. The night of February 15th was one of the craziest nights because everyone was freaking out not knowing what to expect.
All of my thoughts that last night were wrong though.  I woke up at five to gaze upon my greatest fear, but looking at the snow I knew I was wrong.  In the past, the snow came down in small flakes falling slowly and then melting on the concrete like an ice cube melts in your mouth. This snow was different, it came down in huge clumpy flakes that bombarded the concrete and stuck to everything.  I could tell there was already about five inches of snow on the ground with more coming.  After examining the snow through the window for a few minutes, I thought it wouldn’t kill me to experience the weird wonder of winter.  I grabbed all of my equipment and ventured into the snowy wilderness.

The first thing I did when I got outside was touch the snow.It was a very heavy substance and it was very cold.  After a couple of minutes doing that, my sister’s face  appeared in the door and she rushed out as curious as I was.  While we were further examining the snow my parents came outside with a giant present.  We didn’t even notice it at first, until they threw a ball of snow at us. After we saw it we ran over as fast as a bull charging at a red flag.  We ripped the paper off and discovered a large piece of red plastic.  Apparently you could ride through the snow like a surfer rides the ocean waves.  It seemed kind of pointless, but when we tried it, we loved it.  

The day ended by us drinking a kind of silly thing, which was milk and chocolate warmed up in the microwave.  Even though it was a very different day than normal, I really liked it.  It’s not everyday that a city like Raleigh, North Carolina received this much snow and I am pretty sure I made the most out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment